Specialized Areas of Interest > World Events and News

Immortality by 2045: Humanity is Obsolete

(1/5) > >>

Len:
I follow the news; political, economic, scientific, technological, etc. and a theme that keeps recurring lately is the age old quest for immortality. But it is no more Ponce de León’s quest for the fountain of youth. Today it is believed to be a real technologic possibility. The first step is to transplant an aging brain into an robot or android. Next, completely map your brain and personality onto a computer, which will further have holographic and substantial control over external reality.

All of this will supposedly add strength, sensory perception, and an almost universal awareness to those “plugged in”. This is technology’s response to “becoming God”. The type of experiential existence to those going through this would be radically different from the human experience as we know it, and would alter the “soul” in ways never before dreamed of.

I make no ethical judgment or comment on this yet, but I would like to hear the forum members thoughts on what is being proposed.

One story concerning this can be read below, but there are many others, even books by mainstream scientists discussing the potential of these and like themes:

http://www.boston.com/business/technology/2013/06/17/russian-tycoon-wants-move-mind-machine/9YMjvCZ0eztSCEKFkovn2L/singlepage.html

Manu:
I think the craziest part of this would be the capacity to transfer the consciousness of a person to a virtual reality world. People would be offered so many pleasures that they would do anything to be able to go inside. It would be like the internet but a trillion times worse. People would accept anything to be able to go within "the matrix" and be young, beautiful, strong, and live all their fantasies at least for a few hours in the day. Perfect control mechanism. What you folks think?

Lance:
I suppose this really does show the world and its inhabitants just how little the average (and not so average) person knows about consciousness and the mind.

--- Quote ---A disclaimer here.  I do not profess to know everything there is to know about the brain, consciousness, the subconscious, the superconscious, etc., or the dimensional factors related to all of these.

--- End quote ---

Egotistical materialists are so wrought with fear that I have to wonder at times just what their concept of reality is.  Sadly, in my opinion, scientists can be just as dim-witted.

The human brain, like every other part of the anatomy and physiology of the human body, is subject to rather immutable laws at present.  These sort of dictate that material things will last for a while, but will eventually disintegrate, turning into other forms of energy and matter; even prosthetics will last for a finite period of time before they begin to fail structurally.

I do not believe that consciousness is something that can be played with so blithely.  So far, no scientist has been able to tell us exactly where our consciousness lies (let alone the subconscious or the mind) and how to get to it.  Nor do they even know what it looks like.  For those adhering to reincarnation such a concept at artificial longevity of the mind is primitive and meaningless as they already believe in the immortality of it, and understand the brain is merely a physical vehicle linking the body to the mind.

I totally agree Manuel, such a concept would be a fantastic control mechanism; the next step up from drugs, digital simulators and psychotronics...  Who knows, perhaps we will eventually get to more advanced aspects of Asimov's positronic brain concept.

I could think of so many better things to be spending my money on...

Manu:

--- Quote from: Lance on June 23, 2013, 09:26:19 PM ---

I totally agree Manuel, such a concept would be a fantastic control mechanism; the next step up from drugs, digital simulators and psychotronics...  Who knows, perhaps we will eventually get to more advanced aspects of Asimov's positronic brain concept.

I could think of so many better things to be spending my money on...

--- End quote ---

It's the perfect weapon against a hedonistic world.

Lance:
 ;D That's one way of looking at it  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version