Specialized Areas of Interest > World Events and News

Earth News

(1/3) > >>

Diane_:
Everyone alright I hope.   Did anyone here feel the effects of this?  Thinking of you.  Stay safe. 

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/19/world/asia/new-zealand-earthquake/

Enkisfreind:
I'm still here Diane, I was holding the door at work, counting down the last seconds till 16:30 when I can slam it shut. And the door started to move in my hand, at first I thought I was imagining it, then the next tremor I thought maybe I had the shakes, then the third time I realised that the door, and the floor, were moving side to side ! "We're having an Earthquake ! " I yelled to my boss Ross, by then it was all over.
I live and work in Auckland, some 660 Ks away from where the epicentre of the Quake was .
No worries for a city (Auckland) built on seven volcanic cones !

Diane_:
Thanks for responding!  Must have been alarming.  Appears things could have been much worse.  I've been keeping up with the updates about the earthquake on the internet.  NZ is right in The Pacific Rim of Fire isn't it?  Must make for an interesting terrain.  To think what I pay here for a bag of Lava Rocks.  ;D 

Thinking of changing the title to Earthquakes and Meteors, something like that.  Maybe Len can think up a good title.    Seems to be more of the latter, (Meteors), recently.  At least more meteor sightings are being reported that I'm aware of.  I can't decide if that's because there are more of them, or that our modern communication allows us to be more aware.   Maybe the Earth is attracting them, or the universe is reacting to what's happening here?   

Diane_:
I changed the title.  Hope it's ok with admin.  Kind of packed all together for now.  Just thought if something major comes up comes up we can have a place to talk about it.

Just found out England now has the largest off shore wind farm.  I didn't know.  Guess they've been working on it for awhile. Looks impressive! 

Second photo is from space.  Wow!  We have a wind farm locally I can see from my window.  Ours sit on top of the mountains.  When you drive up to them you feel dwarfed by their enormous size.  I heard though that the power produced from them doesn't go locally, but to another area in the USA.

"The London Array—the world's largest offshore wind farm—started operating on April 8, 2013, about twenty kilometers (12 miles) off the coast of Kent and Essex, England. Looking at these pictures taken from space gives you a perfect idea of the Array's amazingly vast extension.  It has a maximum generating power of 630 megawatts (MW), enough to supply up to 500,000 homes. "
http://sploid.gizmodo.com/the-worlds-largest-offshore-wind-farm-looks-incredible-1505695327

"The London Array's wind turbines are spread out across 40 square miles (104 square kilometers), each positioned to harvest the prevailing southwest wind. The turbines are separated by roughly 2,100 to 3,900 feet (640 to 1,200 meters), and stand 482 feet (147 m) tall. Cables buried beneath the seafloor connect the wind turbines and transmit power to two offshore substations and one onshore station, according to NASA officials."
http://www.space.com/24358-london-wind-farm-photo.html

I've read where they're working on doubling the size of it.  Some say that decreasing CO2 is a really good thing.  Others say that with the coming climate change we'll need more CO2.  Your head can spin around reading all the opinions on the subject.

Len:
Hi Diane, you're welcome to change the title of this thread and put lots of different Earth news into it. However, if there's lots of different news items of different sorts, it could eventually be pages long and difficult to navigate to the particular story people find interesting. Individual stories or subjects have a better chance to be seen and commented upon if they each have their own devoted threads. Something to consider... but I'll be able to split it later if its a problem.

--- Quote from: Diane_ on January 21, 2014, 09:00:26 PM ---Some say that decreasing CO2 is a really good thing.  Others say that with the coming climate change we'll need more CO2.  Your head can spin around reading all the opinions on the subject.
--- End quote ---

There certainly are a lot of opinions on the subject, heavily skewed by greed and political advantage on both sides of the argument.

A good rule of thumb should be not to put what we know to be dirty or damaging in the air or water. CO2 is not a pollutant, but a building block of life, being the gas plants breathe and animals/humans exhale. Now, too much of anything can be bad, including oxygen or water. But, at what point is there too much water, oxygen, or CO2? I would hazard to say that most scientists have no idea at this point, that it is mainly hypothetical.

In the 60's and 70's, the majority of scientists were warning of global cooling and a new ice age coming right upon us, in the 90's and 00's, global warming, and now just climate change. News flash, the climate changes! And while carbon in the air is a factor of warming, it is not the only one, and it will take much more research to determine optimal ratio averages of carbon in the atmosphere.

Until then, can we agree to focus on what we all know to be harmful and toxic? I don't know, something like maybe working on having our rivers, streams, and lakes drinkable once again???!!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version