Specialized Areas of Interest > History: Modern & Ancient

Forgetting Our History

(1/3) > >>

Len:

--- Quote from: Diane_ ---We've lost memorizing poems, stories and history. We've lost the stories told from one generation to another. I've recently been researching my families ancestry. My husbands grandmother could sit for hours reciting the family history she knew since a child. I think it's important to tell the children what you know, what you remember. As boring as it may seem to them, they will remember bits and pieces and it will be important to them later in life as they go through their own life experiences.

" BRT:6:33 The art of the scribe came to Britain with the highbrowed one who taught Gwilidun of Ivern, who had seven sub-scribes. He said to the king, "This strange art will make the Britons wiser and will improve their memories, for it is the very essence of memory, which has been brought to this island." The king said, "Most wonderful, but while you may be prepared to bestow this, have you the ability to judge the worth of this art? Should not this be with another?

The potter lacks the ability to judge the worth of his own pots, or the knight his own horse. Therefore, the ability to judge the usefulness or harm of this new thing should surely lie with another. Now, you who are the master of letters have been so swayed by your affection for them that you endow them with powers quite the opposite of what they actually possess.

For this new thing will not increase the range of memory, but will lead to forgetfulness in the mind of those who learn this strange art. It encourages men to cease to practise their memory. Are the legs of a horseman equal to those of a man who walks? With time, men will put their trust in writing, and these strange signs will discourage memory.

They are not instruments of memory but of reminding. Those who learn to read many things without proper instruction will then give an appearance of knowing many things, of which they are in fact ignorant. They will be hard to get along with, since they will not be wise but only appear so."

it has led to forgetfulness. we've forgotten the lessons learned in the past. what happens when you don't know or forget the lessons of the past? You repeat them.
--- End quote ---

Len:
Some of the best, and most interesting, things are still passed on orally. Unfortunately, in this era, most do not care to listen. And the few that do listen, mainly do not believe; having lost connection to their own innate ancestral memories among other connections, preferring instead to believe and rely what is writ, instead of what is remembered and known...

The vicious circle spirals downward eventually to the point where even what is writ cannot be relied upon; the internal rudder smashed and memory atrophied...

Lance:
A rather sad indictment upon our society...

timhallen3730:
The dichotomy between written and oral history is a struggle between those who pass on truth and those who benefit from fiction. Until we perceive reality(truth) naturally from within we need knowledge for reference. For now knowledge as fiction reigns supreme. Yet truth is found at times. Oral history is beautiful and missed in a world where culture is destroyed overtly. The history record and knowledge have been in the hand of the destroyers for a long time. Finding a collective consciousness in any area of Light will be victory. We stand on the edge as we type, looking into the abyss of the collective unconscious. When there is a 'Superbowl' of the spirit instead of the NFL written, oral or digital will not matter. Truth will be as clear as the sense of right from wrong inside each heart. I pray and search for a glimpse of the truth.

Enkisfreind:

--- Quote from: Len on November 13, 2013, 09:39:20 PM ---Some of the best, and most interesting, things are still passed on orally. Unfortunately, in this era, most do not care to listen. And the few that do listen, mainly do not believe; having lost connection to their own innate ancestral memories among other connections, preferring instead to believe and rely what is writ, instead of what is remembered and known...
--- End quote ---

Hi Len, you say above that people are "preferring" to believe and rely on what is writ, "instead" of what is remembered and known.
I wonder if that is so clear cut, as I doubt many modern people, at least in the Western world, ever get to really hear the stories their elders carry in their hearts. My generation was maybe the last, I'm 48, and had my grandfather tell me about his experience as a soldier during WW2.
We grew up in a world that didn't have all the electronic gadgetry to distract us like the young people have today. Our world, still retained the respectful traditions and moral boundaries, natural as they are, or were. No such boundaries or moral traditions exist for many young  people today, their parents being often no more than children themselves.
These children have no destiny to aspire too, no moral heroes whos likeness they aspire to emulate, they are lost, and hear no guiding voice of the past, oral, or written. They know not their place in society, and they have no "social ethic", caring only for the fast fix, and with the pleasures of the "now".
They don't even know that their ever was, or still is, a guiding voice from the past, or people with real wisdom to hand on to willing learners.
No thought in their heads, that such guidance is even needed, for they know not, the degradation of their spiritual state, they don't even know how miserable they feel, and what lack of joy their life contains, compared to what it could be. Having no archetype, being without spiritual knowledge, in their minds, with no archetype to compare their current state too. They are oblivious, of the former times, and walk unguided, into a daunting, hollow future, empty of purpose, and love.

* Admin edit to separate quote from post

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version