Author Topic: James Allen, "As A Man Thinketh"  (Read 10136 times)

June 28, 2013, 12:36:05 PMReply #15

Offline guest1

• Initiate Poster
Re: James Allen, "As A Man Thinketh"
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2013, 12:36:05 PM »
"The schoolmaster never attempts to teach his pupils the abstract principles of mathematics at the commencement; he knows that by such a method teaching would be vain, and learning impossible. He first places before them a very simple sum, and, having explained it, leaves them to do it. When, after repeated failures and ever-renewed effort, they have succeeded in doing it correctly, a more difficult task is set them, and then another and another; and not until the pupils have, through many years of diligent application, mastered all the lessons in arithmetic does he attempt to unfold to them the underlying mathematical principles.

Thus practice ever precedes knowledge even in the ordinary things of the world, and in spiritual things, in the living of the higher life, this law is rigid in its exactions."  James Allen

One step at a time.  How many times do we hear that?  Have you had someone tell you the truth before you were ready to accept it?  When this happens, you might call them a liar, and defend your beliefs.  Or have you told someone the truth and they respond, "no way, that can't be true".  Frustrating isn't it?   It's not until you're open to the truth that you'll be able to digest it and accept it. 

When I was a child learning simple problem solving I had great difficulty.  The books on mathematics gave examples of two children named Dick and Jane.  Jane would have have 6 apples.  She would give 2 to Dick, and then take 1 back from him.  So how many did apples did Jane have left? I would pull my hair out because I couldn't imagine why Jane would give away only 2 apples, and then take one away from him.  If Dick was very hungry, she should have given him all of her apples.   You don't give something to someone and then take it back.  So if she gave him 2, then they were his to keep.

Seems like a silly road block to learning a simple math problem doesn't it?  Why couldn't I get to the answer?  Because my feelings were in the way.  I had to remove my preset ideas on how children were suppose to behave.  My teacher realized my difficulty, and then wrote the equation on a piece of paper.  6-2+1=  Bingo!  I understood, and then went on to higher math.

Even now while I'm learning new things this lesson comes in very handy.   I have to remove my own passion, prejudice, preference, and partiality, to be able to open my mind, so I can even get close to the truth.

September 25, 2013, 10:16:12 PMReply #16

Offline guest1

• Initiate Poster
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2013, 10:16:12 PM »
Last night while driving home a little voice in my head said, "you're not paying attention".  It was dark, a little mist across the ground, and I was kind of daydreaming while driving along the same road home I always take.  So ok already, I'll pay more attention.  Couple seconds after that I spotted a deer in the road.  She was standing on about a one foot section of  grass between the road and the guard rail.  The other side of the rail is a rocky cliff that goes down to a stream.  She had only one way to go without breaking a leg...that was in front of my car.  Did a quick snake movement around her, and she never had to move.  ahhh, thanks little voice.  That worked out well.

The one thing I do pay attention to these days is that little voice we all get once in while with either a warning, beware, think twice, whatever it may be.  The other thing I pay attention to are little signs and sayings we sometimes miss, or take them for granted, just not paying attention to them. 

When I arrived home this was the first thing that came up on my facebook wall tonight.

Let the man of integrity rejoice and be glad when he is severely tried; let him be thankful that he has been given an opportunity of proving his loyalty to the noble principles which he has espoused; and let him think:" Now is the hour of holy opportunity! Now is the day of triumph for Truth! Though I lose the whole world I will not desert the right!"

So thinking, he will return good for evil, and will think compassionately of the wrong-doer. The slanderer, the backbiter, and the wrong-doer may seem to succeed for a time, but the Law of Justice prevails; the man of integrity may seem to fail for a time, but he is invincible, and in none of the worlds, visible or invisible, can there be forged a weapon that shall prevail against him.

Allen, James (2009-03-19). AS A MAN THINKETH Deluxe Collection of Five Favorite James Allen Works [Annotated & Unabridged] (Kindle Locations 958-964). Northpointe Classics. Kindle Edition.

"Now is the day of triumph for the truth... he will return good for evil and will think compassionately of the wrong-doer".

I can only hope that now is the day for the truth.   I'm hoping the compassion will come once I come to terms with why there was ever the untruth.  The rare times I get momentarily angry at someone, I put myself in their shoes, and see things from their perspective, understand why they did what they did, and forgiveness and compassion just come naturally that way for me.  This time is different.  I can't find who I'm angry at, I can't put myself in their shoes...can I rest knowing integrity, truth justice will prevail? 

Everyday is a reminder of what untruths have done.  Christians and Jews being killed, Muslims being killed.  Killing each other.  People shunning each other because one who doesn't believe in any religion hates or shuns the one who does.  The one who does believe hates or shuns the one who doesn't.   What's behind it all?  Secrets and lies.  Why the secrets, why the lies?  I may never truly understand, but not a day will pass that I won't try to while people are dying and hating, while we are blinded by the grand distractions put before us.  I believe the truth will eventually lead to the compassion, with me and with any hope at all for a good part of the world.  Crazy wishful thinking I suppose.  But no hope and surrender, sitting back and waiting, doing nothing, hoping for the best, aren't part of my program and I doubt a part of the program of healing the world either.  The truth can be the weapon to win the battle.  More and more people are listening and waking up, there is hope.

September 26, 2013, 03:41:19 AMReply #17

Offline guest1

• Initiate Poster
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2013, 03:41:19 AM »
Why the secrets, why the lies?

In order to begin to understand the why's of all that is currently going on in the world you will need to do a bit of research on the underpublished concepts of globalisation - reference:
Gary Allan: ( http://www.thestorageroom.com/ndcc.htm ),
Carroll Quigley:
( http://www.wanttoknow.info/war/tragedy_and_hope_quigley_full1090pg.pdf ),
David Icke: ( http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=david+icke&oq=David+Ic&gs_l=youtube.1.0.0l10.160.1773.0.4435.7.5.0.2.2.1.362.1457.2-2j3.5.0...0.0...1ac.1.11.youtube.sjzYcO7UKGU ),
to name but a few.

These people and their viewpoints will give you an indication as to why people are as they are in our so-called modern society.  If nothing else, you will be given a glimpse as to the machinations around much of what is happening today throughout the world (in particular the effects such programmes have and are having on the American peoples in particular).  Over the next few weeks I will set up a website from which you can either read or download the Sirensong Trilogy and Moneymongers - four very good publications outlining why things are happening as they are today.  I'll let you know.

Everyday is a reminder of what untruths have done.

I need to ask here, whose untruths?  Yours?  Theirs?  Mine?  I believe that in many instances (certainly nowhere near all instances) there are those who wholeheartedly believe that what they perceive as being the truth for them is indeed so.  Whether or not anyone else sees this truth is usually, in their eyes, irrelevant.  Indoctrination?  Brainwashing?  More than likely from my perspective, but not so to many others.

Crazy wishful thinking I suppose.

Your thoughts on this are very valid.  To lose hope is indeed a tragedy and to sit back is tantamount to condoning what is happening.  There are news avenues you can follow that show just how much people are beginning to awaken from their long-induced soporific slumbering.  I look about and see so many people, hurting in most cases, seeking to find the Truth or to glimpse it a little more clearly.  And in their quest they have begun showing signs of unrest, both physically and spiritually.  I believe those who think they are in charge are becoming a little unsettled, as those of the supposed unwashed majority are beginning to show just how clean they really are. 

To heal the world (although I am of the firm belief that the Earth is not the one needing the healing so much as being once again given the opportunity to become what it is supposed to be) you need but start on yourself.  From there, ripples radiate outward affecting everything in their path.  These ripples do so unobtrusively and without fuss or bother.  What they cannot affect, they go around.  What they can affect they simply wash over.

One step at a time.

Perfect.

September 26, 2013, 01:06:49 PMReply #18

Offline guest1

• Initiate Poster
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2013, 01:06:49 PM »
Hi Lance, I look into your suggestions about Gary Allen, Carroll Quigley, and Icke over the weekend.  I follow a lot of material from another person, similar type of information as the above mentioned distribute.   But lately I've been frustrated about a certain path of thought my person is on in their research.  I'm doing all that I can to prove what they're saying is wrong. Don't know if I'll be able to do that, but I can offer an alternative viewpoint if I can get up enough courage, strength and facts under my belt to do it.   I'll bring up the subject here very soon. I still keep up with the conspiracy theories, truths, world events, etc., whichever thing they turn out to be.

Whose untruths?...whatever it is that drives people to kill others because of their beliefs, skin color, country they live in is insanity.  I'd read once that truth is not a function of human emotions. Brainwashing, yes indeed, taps right into emotions and convinces people into believing something someone, or group, believes to be truth.  Again we can go back to real truth is not an emotion.  So if your truth causes you to go out and kill someone because of who they are or what they believe, the odds are you are not acting on truth, you are acting on an emotion.

Oh I found where I read that truth wasn't an emotion...in my endless notes.  This is from the same link. :)

In essence, all of this talk about the mysterious and paranoid-sounding "suppression of the truth" simply boils down to the issue of morality. Human beings fail to realize that morality is not needed for those in power. Only the weak masses need morality, because they are not in complete control of their own destinies, and thus can be punished for any of their unsavory actions. So, when it comes to the matter of dispensing the truth, the ruling elite elect not to tell the masses the real truth about reality because they have absolutely no reason, motivation, or obligation to do so.

If one takes a step back and looks at the general attitude of Earth's authority figures, they will see that these authority figures do not exude the truth. Rather, when it comes to such tasks as disclosing information, these authority figures have an aura of shadiness. Instead of divulging all of the information that they know (such as Truthism dot com does), they divulge as little information as possible.

So, getting back to the matter of the ruling elite dispensing the truth to the masses, a great analogy for this would be that of a lion nonchalantly swatting away a fly with its tail: The ruling elite will invent any bogus (yet still within reason) religion or scientific theory just to keep the masses from questioning reality. However, more than just temporarily quelling the masses, these bogus belief systems are actually able to control the masses because people foolishly end up believing in them and taking them to heart. So, in other words, instead of people interpreting a bogus belief system as simply being a possible theory or possible explanation of reality, people totally succumb to (that is, adopt) the bogus belief system because not only is the belief system within reason, but it also came from a very powerful authority figure.

The ruling elite are not anchored down by morality. They set the rules, invent the religions, invent the gods, invent the scientific theories, and do as they please. On the other hand, the masses are, by necessity, slaves to morality: If the common man does not behave properly, then, via the ruling elite's rules, he may be punished.

The logic of a common man is not the same as that of a man in power, because the common man's logic is infected with morality. http://www.truthism.com

Is that what you were trying to tell me?  The above author makes morality sound like it's a bad quality, an infectious one, one that would prevent people seeing the truth.

So let's see what James Allen has to say about morality.

Morality is invincible, and he who stands upon it to the end, stands upon an impregnable rock, so that his defeat is impossible, his triumph certain. He will be tried, and that to the uttermost, for without fighting there can be no victory, and so only can his moral powers be perfected, and it is in the nature of fixed principles, as of everything finely and perfectly wrought, to have their strength tested and proved. The steel bars which are to perform the strongest and best uses in the world must be subjected to a severe strain by the ironmaster, as a test of their texture and efficiency, before they are sent from his foundry.

The brickmaker throws aside the bricks which have given way under the severe heat. So he who is to be greatly and permanently successful will pass through the strain of adverse circumstances and the fire of temptation with his moral nature not merely not undermined, but strengthened and beautified. He will be like a bar of well-wrought steel, fit for the highest use, and the universe will see, as the ironmaster his finely-wrought steel, that the use does not escape him.  James Allen

So would it be far off to say that if the moral character of a person is based on disinformation, brainwashing and lies it could lead to very misdirected actions and events?  But if the moral character of the person was to be based on truth, (the non-emotional, extremely fact base type, subject to change given new facts and truth), the actions of the person would not be as misdirected?

As all truth messengers already know, human beings always stand in the way of one trying to spread the truth, via such tactics as peer pressure and ridicule. If one ever mentions the truth to a human being, the human being will quickly attempt to suck that person back into the mindless reality that is referred to, here on Earth, as the "real world." The truth is an enemy of humanity. So, if you are a slave to the human race, then you will forever keep the truth at arm's length. Therefore, you must pick one: humanity or the truth. truthism.com

I don't like the options. How about humanity learns the truth?  hmmm   ;)

January 24, 2014, 08:15:34 PMReply #19

Offline guest1

• Initiate Poster
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2014, 08:15:34 PM »
Thought I would share this.  Now in audio-book free online.   Been reviewing a few chapters myself with it.   Awesome news enjoy!

"You can listen to James Allen's book "As a Man Thinketh" using the player below. Click on the play button to listen online or you can download the files to your computer using the links in the download column for use on your iPod or other MP3 player."

http://www.jamesallenlibrary.com/audio-books/james-allen/as-a-man-thinketh.html

January 29, 2014, 01:35:19 AMReply #20

Offline guest1

• Initiate Poster
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2014, 01:35:19 AM »
Thanks Diane Awesome link :)

I wonder if he had access to a kolbrin, there are a lot of parts that resonate, very inspiring to listen to.

A warrior is a man responding gleefully to the stern demands of manhood, even as a mother is a woman lovingly responding to the demands of motherhood. The two are akin, for what motherhood is to a woman war is to a man.

Kolbrin

January 29, 2014, 07:57:38 PMReply #21

Offline guest1

• Initiate Poster
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2014, 07:57:38 PM »
Hi Diane.  Am finally back online - my computer started to play up towards the end of last year and then eventually 'bit the bullet' so many times then eventually 'gave up the ghost' and totally died on me.  But new computer (and a new year) so I can now take part once again...

Is that what you were trying to tell me?

Not really, although that is part of the picture.  What is being referred to in the discourse is control via manipulation of emotional states of being in order to facilitate a particular outcome, and has nothing to do with Truth.  Those 'globalists' who think they are in control adhere to the addage, "the end justifies the means", and use that mentality at all times - and that has nothing to do with how the common people view morality or even Truth; it is all about CONTROL.

The above author makes morality sound like it's a bad quality, an infectious one, one that would prevent people seeing the truth.
I don't agree.  For myself, I see the author as emphasising an aspect of morality from his or her own point of view on the subject that is more aligned with manipulation and control.  What I can see here is more an emotive use of the word morality to effectively emphasise his or her point of view concerning conspiracies.  Having said this, though, I agree with what he/she has written, for in this context it is indeed one of the weapons used.

Allen's definition of morality is pertinent to all sides of the conspiracy debate inasmuch as each participant believes they stand on the only moral ground, and, in many ways, this is true.  From the individuals moral perspectives they each believe they are on the right path.

So would it be far off to say that if the moral character of a person is based on disinformation, brainwashing and lies it could lead to very misdirected actions and events?
From an outside observers perspective (ie someone who is not at all involved with Earth life) I would definitely agree if their own view of reality and cause and effect concur with your own.  But from the participants, this couldn't be further from the truth, for they believe they are doing the right thing.  To them, what may be seen from afar as brainwashing, disinformation, etc., would be viewed as absolute truth and if the majority of people agree with this so-called truth then that is what will be.  Examples of this can be seen in religion, sectarian and non-sectarian violence happening around the world today, corporatocracy, government, and even in the likes of the UN.

But if the moral character of the person was to be based on truth, (the non-emotional, extremely fact base type, subject to change given new facts and truth), the actions of the person would not be as misdirected?
One of the interesting things here on Earth (and within our 3-dimensional universe) is that Truth is something that can't even be glimpsed because of this universe's position on the evolutionary ladder.  As mentioned above, this misdirection refers to that perceived by the observer, not the participant.  I think the old saying, 'can't see the forest for the trees', is quite apt here.  To my understanding, none of us has the ability at present to see Truth as it really is, all we can do is to interpret that which we are a part of (our reality) with the knowledge and experience we already possess.  We may call that perception Truth if we want, and, in some ways, it is.  But to my understanding, it is merely a pale reflection of what Truth is.

I don't know if I would agree that the moral character of a person could even possibly be based on Truth as you have written simply because we need to attribute an emotional tie to this concept in order to make it a reality in our world.  I would agree that Truth simply is, but in order for us to understand its varying facets, we have to attribute an emotional response to that understanding and/or belief.

January 31, 2014, 03:03:47 PMReply #22

Offline guest1

• Initiate Poster
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2014, 03:03:47 PM »
Lance-I'm content with trying to interpret, find and defend the truth within our reality.  For a simple person like myself to try to interpret the greatest truth would be foolish.  I can always guess and wonder about it though, and I do.  The things I've come up with on that subject even make me giggle a bit.  I can let my imagination run wild when I let it.

Ra-I think he had access to a lot of writings, and maybe a bit more than just writings.  Good hearing from you! 

Some James Allen for today...

By earnest self-examination strive to realize, and not merely hold as a theory, that evil is a passing phase, a self-created shadow; that all your pains, sorrows, and misfortunes have come to you by a process of undeviating and absolutely perfect law; have come to you because you deserve and require them, and that by first enduring, and then understanding them, you may be made stronger, wiser, nobler. When you have fully entered into this realization, you will be in a position to mould your own circumstances, to transmute all evil into good, and to weave, with a master hand, the fabric of your destiny.

Can be a tough one to swallow some days.  But so very true.  Wish more people in my life could relate to that paragraph.  I tire of hearing it's always someone else fault or something else's fault.  I always rejoice when I hear someone taking responsibility for whatever it was that happened that caused them to have a painful experience.

Happened just yesterday.  I listened to someone work out their problem verbally and they came to the conclusion that it was their own actions that caused the whole thing.  I smiled a big smile, but probably shouldn't have at that very moment.  The hug they received was much more appropriate.   

February 01, 2014, 07:23:11 PMReply #23

Offline guest1

• Initiate Poster
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2014, 07:23:11 PM »
I totally agree with you Diane.  I believe it is more in the striving towards that counts.  And synchronicities abound should we choose to see and experience them.