Author Topic: Ancient Mosaic Found in Israel (Aluma) Raises Questions About Early Church  (Read 14598 times)

February 08, 2014, 08:57:16 PMReply #15

Offline Len

• Administrator
  • Magus Poster
Re: Huqoq Early Christianity Or Synagogue
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2014, 08:57:16 PM »
Bishops came later...

The analogy, and later use from bishops, is derived from John, chapter 10.

This analogy is also further clarified in the Kailedy.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 09:00:53 PM by Len »

February 09, 2014, 05:21:17 PMReply #16

Offline Diane_

• Initiate Poster
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2014, 05:21:17 PM »
Finding a cross like this one has been a lot harder than I thought it would be.   They called it a Chi Rho symbol.  It's more like a Tau Rho, Monogrammatic Cross or a Staurogram.   The Staurogram was first used to abbreviate the Greek word for cross in very early New Testament manuscripts.   A Tau-Rho is a T-Tau with a P-Rho.  Then the shape of the P, (the Rho) at the top of the Aluma Cross had me baffled.  Looked Egyptian, looked like a oil lamp handle, or as Len posted a shepherds crook/staff.

The Aluma Cross shows the transition from a traditional Egypto-Roman Religion to Christianity.  The cross displays traditional forms belonging to both religions.  In my opinion making the cross Coptic/Egyptian-Christian.   Unlike a Chi Rho, the X-shaped St. Andrew's cross has been replaced by a large Greek cross. The only remainder of the Rho is a small P-shaped "handle" at the top of the cross. The result is a Tau-Rho with strong resemblance and symbolic connection both to the Greek cross and to the ankh cross.

Indeed a tough one, not your standard form of cross.    The photo below is from a 4th Century Coptic Christian "Codex Glazier".  I think our Pheasants need to turn into Peacocks.  :-\   There's more than one reason for this, not just because of the below photo, but the Demetrius I'm concentrating on now has a lot to do with Easter.  I need to have a talking to the artist of the Aluma mosaic!  I'm not liking the leopard much either.  The leopard looks like a calf with teeth.  His Peacocks look like Pheasants.  (giggle).  Ok, so the artist was no Michelangelo, but it's a fantastic piece.   

Ancient people believed that the flesh of a peafowl did not decay after death, and it so became a symbol of immortality. This symbolism was adopted by early Christianity, and thus many early Christian paintings and mosaics show the peacock. The peacock is still used in the Easter season especially in the east."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_symbolism

The next photo is an Ancient Coptic Christian wall carving at the Temple Of Isis Philae near Aswan Egypt.  Shows the presence of Copts from an earlier era in the Egyptian Region.  I'm using it to show the shape of the ends of the cross, the 4 Points, (dots at positions North, South, East And West), the Shepherd Crooks, and the relationship to the Ankh.

The below photo is of Coptic funerary reliefs, (5th-6th century AD), that show the transition in Egypt from traditional Egypto-Roman religion to Christianity.  Finally found the exact cross today, on a gravestone no less.   In identifying Ra/Helios with Christ, one passes symbolically from pagan (Life in Ra) to Christian (Life in Christ) faith and belief.  Look at the center cross.

Think it's safe to say Aluma is a Coptic=Egyptian Christian site? 

February 09, 2014, 06:12:41 PMReply #17

Offline Len

• Administrator
  • Magus Poster
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2014, 06:12:41 PM »
To say it is purely Coptic is problematic as the site was found in Israel, although there are some of those elements there... along with a few Greek ones.

But I am surprised that you haven't yet noticed that the artistic design (geometry, symbols, and styles) is more Keltic than it is Greek, Egyptian, or Hebrew. And that it was found in Israel opens up a story in Christian history that few even suspect... ;)

February 09, 2014, 07:49:06 PMReply #18

Offline Diane_

• Initiate Poster
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2014, 07:49:06 PM »
I say it's time to dance!  I knew, I can see...I couldn't sell it.  Not enough hard info.  If I pushed that fact one might say I'm not open minded.  The Coptic and Keltic link is there and I can't deny that.  It's not me who said their church founders were Demetrios & Herakles.  I'd love for it to be written that the founders of the Aluma Church were Keltic, but that's not what they're saying the translated Greek words are saying.  It's all related either way.

February 09, 2014, 08:00:06 PMReply #19

Offline Len

• Administrator
  • Magus Poster
Re: Ancient Mosaic Found in Israel (Aluma) Raises Questions About Early Church
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2014, 08:00:06 PM »
Time to dance indeed!  ;D

Any art historian worth their salt would stake their reputation on the connection here. The fact that language scholars can't tell green from blue only tells us that their expertise is limited and lacking a multidisciplinary approach.

But yes, it is all related...  ;)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 02:09:37 PM by Len »

January 13, 2018, 05:40:18 AMReply #20

Offline vee

• Novice Poster
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2018, 05:40:18 AM »
hi there,
is there someone still interested in this subject? I think I could help to solve the mistery :-)

January 15, 2018, 10:15:30 PMReply #21

Offline Len

• Administrator
  • Magus Poster
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2018, 10:15:30 PM »
Welcome to the forums vee!

I know I'm still interested in the subject and would love to read your thoughts on the matter.